Tuesday 25 February 2014

Back in January we started off the term with a ribbons & trims project. 
Condensed little weaves, cause hard work. 

This was my attempt. Inspired by the motion of waves & land. 








There was a day, maybe mid way through? that was awful - i spent hours trying to make my salmon pink warp work. Disheartened, i found it hard to see past what was sitting in front of me, - 7 odd hours of weaving, and all i had to show was 4inches of ugly yarns and ugly patterns. 

Then, like a powerful punch i realised i need to know how to fail. For, that day i realised id worked out what didn't work and tomorrow - it can only get better. 

A friend told me that the creative team at 'apple' are expected to often fail. Without finding the freedom of failure, we are limiting ourselves to perfection - and creativity doesn't grown in an atmosphere of perfection. Creativity grows when your allowed to experiment and confidence grows when that journey is acknowledged. 

Its taken me 6 weeks to blog about this because i don't love my work. However, i love what i've learnt. I get pretty low at times whilst creating something, but usually its followed by the high of a discovery - now im learning to distinguish my emotions, so a few little threads don't absorb my heart. 

I am fascinated by this notion of perfection + failure + creativity, i feel it will work my brain for a few years to come. 

1 comment:

  1. joise, this is so beautiful, I had both tears and smiles as I read.
    imperfectly perfect, releasing creativity through failure...its the best way to be :)
    I'm so glad you did decide to post this. and I feel like I'm still working it out in my brain too...but we will both grow into it more and more as we keep celebrating life through creating.
    I'm pretty sure this was our conversation you were referring to? if so...I am honoured to be called your 'friend' :)
    you are fabulous. thank you for the openness and honesty of this. It's inspiring.
    ps- I really love the first piece of weaving, especially- you showed those ribbons and trims who's boss in the end! ;) xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete